The Fertility Foundation – Volunteer Treasurer (Hoddesdon)
Posted: 10 August 2020
Level: Financial/ Retail
Closing date: Ongoing
Interview Date: TBC
Contract type: Fixed term
About the role
We are seeking to recruit a Volunteer Treasurer on a flexible fixed term contract.
As Treasurer you will be responsible for maintaining an overview of the organisation’s financial affairs, safeguarding its financial viability and ensuring that proper financial records and procedures are maintained. The aim of this role is to ensure the finances are documented and that the organisation is staying true to its charitable objectives.
Working closely with the Management Team, the Treasurer will assess the charities financial health, establish budgets, and prepare financial statements. The role is primarily one of monitoring and overseeing, with the operational activity being undertaken by the Management Team. As a Treasurer, this is a real opportunity to shape the future for the charity.
You will be an ambassador of The Foundation; promoting who we are and what we do to the members of our local community and throughout the UK. This is a great opportunity to make a real difference to the lives of people who are struggling to conceive. The money raised will enable us to meet the growing needs of our community.
If you wish to apply, please complete an application form, accompanied by your CV. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applicants from all sectors of the community. We’d love to hear from all ages and backgrounds.
The successful applicant will need to be dynamic, self-motivated, analytical and positively committed to working in a charity environment. You’ll have experience working with figures and be able to demonstrate that you are a trusting individual. It is also very important that you have a good understanding of the challenges facing those affected by difficulties in conceiving.
You’ll have an eye for detail and will ensure a safe, accurate account of the charities finances and have a methodical way of thinking.
Previous experience in dealing with budgets, financial controlling or fundraising / income generation is desirable.
The Fertility Foundation aims to continue being the leading patient charity across the UK in the provision of IVF funding and support network for those facing fertility challenges at all stages of their journey, providing authoritative information as well as practical and emotional support.
Around 1 in 7 couples today have trouble conceiving, which equates to 3.5 million people in the UK. The prospect of facing any kind of fertility problem is very distressing to live with and many people believe that no one else really understands. For many struggling to conceive being denied access to NHS funding means their hopes of starting a family can seem impossible. We aim to help them navigate this journey through introductions to our support network, assistance with dealing the CCG’s, working on their behalf with clinics and ultimately providing funding.
We understand the assistance needed on an individual’s journey is as unique as they are. We setup The Fertility Foundation based on our overwhelming desire to help as many people as we can to either start or extend their family.
What’s in it for you?
- Working with a friendly team and being part of The Fertility Foundation family
- Satisfaction in knowing that through your commitment you are contributing to providing more opportunities for people who are wanting to start their families
- An opportunity to contribute to the ongoing development of the service and organisation
- Comprehensive induction, training and support throughout your volunteering journey
- Opportunities to learn from other volunteers, staff and management
- Generous Staff discount
- Individual incentive schemes
Please use the link below to complete your application. We would recommend that you read the job description and personal specification below before applying.
Main activities and tasks involved (with support of the Management Team):
- Provide strategic oversight of finances, including monitoring accounting arrangements
- Assurance that the financial resources of the charity meet its present and future needs
- Work with the Management team and ensure appropriate measures are taken to fund the charity
- Ensure the charity has an appropriate budget strategy
- Monitor the charities investments and ensure consistency with its policies and legal responsibilities
- Assist in the growth of the charities retails operations
- A good understanding of the challenges facing those affected by difficulties in conceiving
- Be comfortable working with figures
- Have an orderly mind and methodical way of thinking
- Have an eye for detail
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Show good time-keeping
- Demonstrate you are trustworthy
- Have a financial qualification or relevant experience
- Have experience in dealing with sums of money and budgets
- Have experience of financial control and budgeting
- Experience in fundraising and income generation