The Fertility Foundation – Assistant Shop Manager (Hoddesdon)
Posted: 10 August 2020
Salary: £8.80 ph
Hours: 19.5 hours per week (30 min unpaid lunch break)
Closing date: 17 August 2020
Interview Date: TBC
Contract type: Fixed term
About the role
We are seeking to recruit a Part Time Assistant Shop Manager to work 19.5 hours per week in our Hoddesdon shop on a fixed term contract.
The aim of this role is to assist the Shop Manager in achieving sales and profit targets. You will be required to provide an excellent level of customer service and have the ability to assist with managing and developing a team of volunteers. We are looking for a capable, reliable person to help lead and support a small enthusiastic team of volunteers, assisting the managers in running the shop and acting as Shop Manager in their absence. This will be a hands-on role involving the selection, pricing and presentation of donated stock.
You will be an ambassador of The Foundation; promoting who we are and what we do to the members of our local community and throughout the UK. This is a great opportunity to make a real difference to the lives of people who are struggling to conceive.
If you wish to apply, please complete an application form, accompanied by your CV. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applicants from all sectors of the community.
The successful applicant will need to be dynamic, self-motivated, creative and positively committed to working in charity retail. You’ll have experience in providing excellent customer service and motivating a team to do the same. It is also very important that you have a good understanding of the challenges facing those affected by difficulties in conceiving.
You’ll have an eye for detail and will ensure a safe, clean and inviting environment for customers and volunteers.
Previous experience in retail is desirable.
This position requires the applicant to be willing to work Bank Holidays and weekends as required.
The Fertility Foundation aims to continue being the leading patient charity across the UK in the provision of IVF funding and support network for those facing fertility challenges at all stages of their journey, providing authoritative information as well as practical and emotional support.
Around 1 in 7 couples today have trouble conceiving, which equates to 3.5 million people in the UK. The prospect of facing any kind of fertility problem is very distressing to live with and many people believe that no one else really understands. For many struggling to conceive being denied access to NHS funding means their hopes of starting a family can seem impossible. We aim to help them navigate this journey through introductions to our support network, assistance with dealing the CCG’s, working on their behalf with clinics and ultimately providing funding.
We understand the assistance needed on an individual’s journey is as unique as they are. We setup The Fertility Foundation based on our overwhelming desire to help as many people as we can to either start or extend their family.
Please use the link below to complete your application. We would recommend that you read the job description and personal specification below before applying.
- To achieve profit targets by maximising sales and minimising costs
- To ensure that the high standard of service to customers that is expected by The Fertility Foundation is maintained at all times
- To actively support any fundraising promotions as directed by Management
- To implement any promotion in the shop as directed by Management
- Shop Appearance
- To maintain a high standard of display, both in the window and inside the shop
- To achieve and maintain high standards of housekeeping, organisation and cleanliness throughout the shop premises
- To encourage the public to donate saleable goods. To engage with the local community with the support of the Donated team to source new stock generation opportunities
- Working with the Shop Management to create, implement and undertake periodic reviews of pricing strategy
- To ensure the shop density is kept full by ensuring there is adequate stock available at all times
- To rotate stock on a daily basis so that no garment remains on the shop floor for any longer than the agreed time limits
- To hang, ticket, size and cube all clothing as appropriate
- To comply with all instructions regarding the sale and auditing of New Goods
- Voluntary Staff
- To ensure that tasks are properly delegated to staff in accordance with their training and abilities
- To create a happy working environment and to increase efficiency and job satisfaction of the team
- To drive and assist in the recruitment and training of Volunteers
- Administration and Security
- To complete all administrative paperwork such as sales sheets and stock control sheets correctly and promptly
- To bank daily in accordance with Managements instructions
- Health and Safety
- To provide a safe environment that protects all staff, volunteers and the public
- To comply with all Health and Safety regulations as per the Health and Safety policy
- To report any maintenance or health and safety issues in the shop to Management
- Public Engagement
- To actively engage the local community and promote The Fertility Foundation on “Who We Are and What We Do”
- To carry out activities which promote stock generation, volunteering and fundraising with the local community to achieve delivery of any set targets
Achievements and Experience
- Experience of working effectively on own initiative and in a team environment.
- Experience of dealing with customers and providing excellent customer care
- Experience of recruiting, managing, and motivating a team.
- Experience of working in a retail environment.
Skills & Abilities
- A good understanding of the challenges facing those affected by difficulties in conceiving.
- Proven organisational and prioritising skills.
- Numerate with the ability to calculate figures and competently undertake administration.
- Possess an interest / awareness in fashion trends.
- Ability to communicate well with the general public.
- Ability to motivate self and others.
- Ability to deal with confidential information in an appropriate manner
- To ensure that a respectful and professional image is maintained in keeping with the publics, volunteers and employee’s expectations.
- Must be willing to work on Saturdays, some Sundays and Bank Holidays as required
- Must be willing to undertake relevant training and attend meetings as required
- Must be prepared to work in other shops occasionally if requested.
- Must be able to lift heavy and/or bulky items
- Excellent Knowledge of selling and merchandising